General Articles 

The Best Futuristic PPE Technology to Look for in 2018

For the past few years, the use of PPE in the construction industry has been on the rise, especially with the recent innovations in technology. Despite that, there’s still a good number which hasn’t discovered how beneficial smart PPE can be.

The Importance of Wearing PPE in the Construction Industry

One of the few reasons why workers don’t entertain the idea of wearing PPE is because they find it uncomfortable and it restrains them from performing their tasks quickly and efficiently.

What they fail to realize that even though PPE is considered as the last line of defense, it’s still imperative to ensure a worker’s safety. It can save thousands of lives.

More specially, by wearing smart PPE wearables, such as safety vests, hard hats, goggles, and the like, you can enjoy the following:

  • Avoid constant exposure to health hazards, such as radiation, chemicals, and heat.
  • Lessen the risk of hearing or vision loss, burns, abrasions, chronic diseases, dismemberment, and lifelong disabilities.
  • Reduce the severity of the injury in case a worker gets involved in one.
  • Improve personal protection.

However, to thoroughly enjoy these benefits, it’s essential that you know how to use them correctly, and be able to maintain them properly. It’s crucial that the contractors, supervisors, and workers are familiar with the different types of PPE to determine the best ones for their needs.

Other Benefits Of PPE

Reduces the Risks of Injuries and Sickness

Smart PPE reduces the harmful effects of injury, and it’s also capable of preventing accidents from happening in the first place. As you lower these risks, you’d also increase the productivity and efficiency of the construction site.

A Professional Way to Fulfill Legal Health and Safety Obligations

With the use of smart PPE on the construction site, you’ll be able to avoid accidents, prosecutions, and investigations.

Eliminate HSE Investigations

With smart PPE, you’ll stay compliant and be able to avoid prosecutions, legal fees, fines, and compensation payouts as you’ll have the assurance that you are adhering with the safety codes set by the state.

Look After Your Workers Efficiently

To ensure overall productivity within the construction site, you have to make sure that the workers are safe and happy. Through this, you’ll be able to reduce the risks of absences, improve turnover time, and best of all, enjoy a higher staff morale.

Cost Saving Solution

The money you are going to invest in PPE would be covered by savings that you’ll gain from other benefits, such as reduction in sickness absence, lower staff turnover, and avoid costs that you’d have to settle in case you get involved in work-related accidents.

Addressing Potential Workplace Hazards

Each business is different, and in the construction industry, there’s a unique range of issues construction workers have to face. With the use of PPE, you’ll be able to address the needs of employees according to on the possibility of exposure to sources of contamination and injury– whether it’s loud sounds, heavy objects, corrosive substances, and the like.

To support that, according to the National Institute of Occupational Safety, more than 2,000 workers across the US had to deal with injuries on a regular basis. Around 600 of these workers need to undergo treatment in the emergency room.

Additionally, approximately 70% of employees who suffered from hand injuries were the ones who are not wearing gloves while doing their tasks. Then, the other 30% of these suffered from injuries because of mishandling of machinery.

With the use of smart PPE, together with proper training, it’s possible to ensure the safety of employees, which would significantly reduce the risks of injuries and illnesses.

The construction industry is one of the few sectors that have the most extensive number injury accidents each year. In fact, even after thorough risk assessments, as well as the execution of the right controls in the work environment, there’s still the risk that the workers will be involved in an accident.

That is why the use of smart PPE is essential. Not only will it ensure that the workers stay safe, but it will also improve the overall productivity within the construction site.

Related posts